Dovetail Divorce are members of Resolution; an organisation that has proved invaluable in helping to support and promote the work of collaborative family lawyers. Here’s a little more information on Resolution and the important work they do.
Resolution is an organisation of 5700 lawyers which was formerly known as the Solicitors Family Law Association. Lawyers who are members of Resolution believe collaborative law is the best approach to divorce and that using a constructive, non-confrontational approach to divorce is best for families.
Resolution members also campaign for improvements to the family justice system and supports the training of specialist family lawyers through its training programmes which are available both regionally and nationally.
Resolution members encourage good practice through their Code of Practice which has been put in place to set out the core principles of their non-confrontational approach to family law. The Law Society has adopted the principles of Resolution’s Code of Practice as recommended good practice for all family lawyers. The Code of Practice requires lawyers who are members of Resolution to encourage their clients to reach fair and constructive agreements whilst dealing with other lawyers in a civilised way.
Resolution members must adhere to the Code of Practice which also includes:
- avoiding the use of inflammatory language
- retaining professional objectivity and respect for everyone involved
- taking into account the long term consequences of actions and communications as well as the short term implications
- encouraging clients to put the best interests of the children first
- emphasising to clients the importance of honesty and openness
- ensuring clients are aware of the benefits of civilised behaviour
- keeping financial and childcare issues separate
More information on Resolution can be found by visiting their website at www.resolution.org.uk